dry shampo DIY.


Like most mama's life is a constant stream of chores and coffee dates, so some days it's hard to find the time to wash and blow-dry my hair even though my mane is usually at the mercy of marmite hands.  This recent resurgence in dry shampoo has certainly caught my attention, and I was even more pleased to find a DIY option. Although I would never let this take the place of normal hair washing, it's certainly handy to have when you're in a pinch (or when you choose to spend nap time watching Netflix instead of having a shower... guilty).

ingredients
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons baking soda
2 tablespoons cornmeal
2 tablespoons ground oatmeal
A salt shaker type container to store dry shampoo

method
Step 1: Grind up oatmeal in a blender. You want it to be fine enough to be able to go through a salt shaker, so give it some time in the blender.

Step 2: Measure out 2 tablespoons each of: cornstarch, cornmeal, baking soda and the ground up oatmeal. Mix it all together in a bowl and you’ve got yourself some dry shampoo.

Step 3: Pour your fancy new dry shampoo into a container. You want this to be something you can use over and over again, in the bathroom in your morning rush, so put it into a reusable salt shaker or something of the sort.

Step 4: Sprinkle some dry shampoo onto your hand orr sprinkle it straight onto your scalp.

Step 5: Scrub your head like you would in the shower, all lathered up. This is where all the ingredients you’ve so carefully blended gather all the oils on the top of your head.

Step 6: Now brush. Use a bristle brush or it won’t work properly. Again, do this over a sink or tub. Brush like you’ve got the wind at your back. You need to get all this stuff off your scalp.

Step 7: That’s it! You’re all dry shampooed. Now let your mane loose or braid her up. I'm quite liking this fauxhawk below...

via
Original recipe found here.

2 comments:

Meryl McLendon said...

Thank you for sharing! I don't wash everyday, so I find myself sprinkling a little baby powder in my hair. This sounds like it will work better than that. =)

Jessica said...

I've been reading a lot about dry shampoo and have yet to take the plunge... now I have no excuse.