marley's menu | zucchini fritters


With 8 teeth, Marley will happily chomp through all kinds of food, so lately I've been exploring different ideas for his meals. It's certainly a challenge to create foods which are all mini or bite-sized with good nutrition. Golden and crunchy on the outside, soft and fresh in the middle, these fritters are the perfect lunch for us both. Admittedly the frying part is not ideal, but I see nothing wrong with having a bit of fun with vegetables every once and a while.

ingredients
4 large zucchinis/courgettes
1 large egg
1 tablespoon flour
a good handful of parmesan cheese
olive oil

method
Remove the ends of the zucchinis and cut them lengthways into quarters. Remove the fluffy white center from each one with your knife. In no particular way, slice the courgettes into matchsticks - no need to worry about being precise.

Separate the egg and put the white into one bowl and yolk in the other. Add the courgette matchsticks and parmesan to the yolk and mix together. Whip the egg white with a tiny pinch of salt until stiff, then fold into the courgette mixture.

Heat a few glugs of olive oil in a pan and fry the the fritters in little bundles on a medium heat. 2 1/2 minutes on each side will be enough to make each side golden. Sometimes if I haven't scrunched the mixture together enough the bundles can fall apart, but that doesn't matter because the matchsticks are easily eaten on their own.

These are really nice served with some feta cheese. Your baby will love them!

kitchen notes
Usually I make some for myself too, so I add some white pepper, mint, chilli and lemon zest to the fritter mixture for more flavour. When frying I sprinkle a little cumin over the top, and then serve drizzled in lemon juice. It's perfection!
This recipe is adapted from Jamie Oliver.

4 comments:

Sophie Slim said...

Hey Sylvie! Just wondering if you are coming to the bloggers connecting conference in April!?? There's only 3 spots left!!

weiya @ enjoyer of grace said...

This looks delicious! I've been recently craving zucchini and just made some stuffed ones last night:
http://enjoyerofgrace.blogspot.com/2013/03/stuffed-zucchini.html

Cannot wait to try these fritters! :)

jackie jade said...

wow looks so delicious - thanks for sharing!
-- jackiejade.blogspot.com

Raising Reagan said...

I am not a fan of zucchini ~ I think my grandmother tried to give me too much as a kid.
But, I do have Reagan try it and she does like fried zucchini.
This makes my hubby happy!

¤´¨)
¸.•*´
(¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
www.raising-reagan.com