paleo carrot cake balls.


I've only just caught on to the Paleo buzz in the last week or so. If you haven't heard much about it, essentially it's a healthy eating approach which mirrors the way humans used to eat when we were hunter-gatherers, avoiding grains, sugars, and dairy. This approach makes a lot of sense - to eat the way were originally designed too. Of course, this means missing out on anything processed and I'm not quite sure how I would cope without my sugar fix! It turns out there's some clever people who figured out a way around this - these carrot cake balls are a great little healthy snack for those sweet tooth moments, minus the guilt. Paleo or not, these will definitely be making a regular appearance in my refrigerator.


ingredients
3/4 cup almond flour, or ground almonds
5-6 dates, pitted
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 carrots, shredded
1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2-4 Tbsp coconut milk or coconut oil, melted

method
Put dates and coconut in a food processor and blend until a smooth paste in formed.
Add almond, carrots and spices, and mix well.
Add coconut milk or oil and blend until desired consistentcy is reached.
Form into balls & store in refrigerator.

kitchen notes
Add more coconut milk for a gooier treat - adding less will create a crumblier ball. 
Feel free to add any other nuts or dried fruit - I like mine with dried apricot.
Original recipe can be found (here).



4 comments:

la petite lulu said...

Yummmm! I think I live under a rock sometimes - I haven't heard of the paleo diet, but have been looking for healthier sweet treats that Oliver can share too. I'm going to give these a try!

SH said...

I've heard bits and pieces about paleo, but thanks for breaking it down for me!

Sheree
The Hartungs Blog
thehartungs.blogspot.ca

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

These look so good! I bet they taste just like carrot cake :)

MissFancyPants said...

I am making these this week!! They look fantastic!