honey & ginger loaf.


This is a really delicious, easy loaf which goes perfect with a cup of tea. I often avoid loaves as I find them to be dry, but the ginger syrup in this recipe keeps the loaf rich and moist. Luckily over Christmas we were given a huge container of honey straight from some local hives, so this has been a great way to put it to good use.

ingredients
115g butter
1/2 cup golden syrup
1/2 cup good-quality honey
1 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
1/2 a nutmeg, grated
1 cup milk
1 egg, beaten

ginger syrup
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
1/2 cup ginger syrup

method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Grease two 22cm x 11cm loaf tins and line with baking paper.
In a saucepan, combine butter, golden syrup, honey and sugar, and heat gently, stirring with a wooden spoon until combined and mixture is hot. Remove from heat.
Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour butter mixture into dry ingredients. Stir to combine then add milk and egg. The mixture will be quite runny.
Pour into loaf tins. Bake for 60 minutes. Loaves are ready when the tops spring back when lightly touched and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the loaf.
While the loaf is cooking, prepare the Ginger Syrup. Place water and sugar in a saucepan on a low heat and when hot add ginger syrup, stirring until fully combined and right consistency is reached.
Remove loaves from the oven and pour 1/2 cup Ginger Syrup each while still in the tins. Remove from the tins when cool.

kitchen notes
I usually have more success with this loaf when I bake the full recipe rather than halving it. Because I only have one loaf tin, I bake the other half as muffins or cupcakes and freeze them once cooked.
This recipe is from Kim Evan's book Treats from Little & Friday.


todays blog pick:

9 comments:

2justByou said...

Oh wow! You've done a complete blog makeover since my last visit. The text looks really tiny now.
This honey & ginger loaf looks really good. I'm gonna pin it! Thanks for the recipe.
=0)
~Kim
http://2justByou.blogspot.com

SH said...

This looks delicious! Loving the new blog layout.

Sheree
thehartungs.blogspot.ca

Georgia Beee said...

This looks amazing! I'm deffo going to try to make it :)

Georgia x
Georgiabeee.blogspot.co.uk | Follow me on Twitter | Like me on facebook

Deanna Lyn said...

honey and ginger are my some of mine favorite favors.you gotta know iam baking this thanks!

Fabulous Petite said...

This looks so yummy. Ginger and honey are great for our bodies so I will not be guilty eating a piece of this. Thank you for sharing.

xo
Sam
http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

Stopping by from the blog hop to say hi!

-Kelly

http://www.blartblog.com

juliefromchicago said...

Hi, I just found your blog through the Follower to Friends Blog Hop and am now following:) I love your blog and how you share photos of your family!

And this recipe looks delish, I must try!

juliefromchicago.blogspot.com

Judy Haughton-James said...

I am hungry! This looks so-o-o yummy!

Jo said...

Ooh yum,popped over from Olive and Ivy, glad I did! This looks tasty