three good things.


"Time is the stuff life's made of - but which dominates, the biological or the mechanical clock? Money can't buy you love, but still, you can't live without it. Cash can be earned and lost and earned again. Time seems replenishable as each new dawn chases the night, but it can't be replaced. In the end, which matters more in the quest to be happy - time or money?" - Alison Haynes, Time Money Happiness.

Shakespeare said in As You Like It 'He who wants money, means and content is without three good thing.' When I was working I was money rich, time poor, and I hardly had the time to do the things I really wanted to (like blogging!). I find it somewhat ironic that since becoming a mother I have become a lot happier and settled in my life. I lost my entire income and largely my independence disappeared along with it, however I can now spend time with my family, blog, build new friendships, I can keep my house nice, my life organised and mostly I have time to enjoy the most simplest moments. Yesterday the sun was streaming into my lounge, we were listening to Florence and the Machine on vinyl while eating strawberries and watermelon. It's those moments of absolute content, where you are exactly where you want to be, and you could never put a price on that.

"Some mornings I walked out into the courtyard and every living thing there, the seagulls and wagtails, the small trees, and even the stray blades of grass seemed to smile and shine in the sun". Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom. 



9 comments:

katrice said...

I've always measured how "rich" a person is by how happy they are and you seem to be an extremely wealthy lady and your family is beautiful.

Raising Reagan said...

That is amazing! And I feel the same way. I gave up my income and independence to care for a child and I had no idea what I was doing...but it's those moments that I love when she looks up at me with her deep blue eyes and says I Love you! That makes it all worth it :)

Love the picture :)

Lanaya
www.raising-reagan.com

phiphis blog said...

beautiful family, sylvia. it is moments like this where you need nothing else!

drinkcitra said...

What a beautiful change :)
This is a lovely family photo!

Bailey- I Know All the Words said...

What a gorgeous photo!

New follower, found you on the F to F blog hop :)

Denysia Yu said...

Your family is so adorable! :)

Beatriz López Lumbreras said...

ohhh such a beautifull picture!and post!!
I'm glad you are so happy

Bea =)
dailylivingingeneva.blogspot.com

Kera said...

This is wonderful! The photo of you three is lovely and just captures happiness perfectly. I agree with you 100% on the words you wrote--when I worked, before becoming a mother, we had a fat savings account and the ability to do/buy whatever we pleased. But I was SO not as happy and content as I am now, living on a tight budget, but enjoying my daughter and our house and being blessed with the love and ability to blog and create. Thanks so much for linking it up to my On My Mind series :)

Hope and Sugar said...

OMG, this picture is adorable!