show & tell : my career! fashion public relations to a SAHM



1. Tell us what you studied in college. Is your job now related to what you studied?

My sister and I at my graduation
At university I studied a Bachelor of Media Arts (Communication) majoring in Public Relations and Advertising. It is very transfereable and can be used in many settings.

I specifically worked in PR after I graduated. I was the showroom manager for a fashion PR company and I basically dealt with the media, sourcing them clothes/jewellery for photo shoots etc and helping out celebs with outfits for events. I also did some social media management, press releases and event management for clients. My role was pretty varied.

Now I'm a stay at home mum. Unfortunately I don't think there's a degree in life which helps with changing pooey nappies and dealing with screaming babies.


2. Tell us what your everyday job looks like.

Well SAHM routine revolves around the baby. At the moment he spends about 2 hours awake and then will sleep for about an hour. Once he's asleep I rush around like a mad woman trying to get my chores done, and I squeeze blogging in where I can. We have a few mother's groups we attend, and wie go for a walk everyday unless it's bad weather.

It's very repetitive and often tiring, but definitely the most rewarding 'job' I've had in my life.



3. Do you have a picture of you at work? Show us.




4. In 10 years, what do you see yourself doing? Same thing? More? Tell us.

Ultimately I would like a job/ income which allows me to flexible with my time and available for my family. Ideally if that also allows me to be creative and write then I'll be a very happy woman. My mind is full of so many different business ideas, who knows which road I will follow.


5. Tell us what you have learned, and what {if any} recommendations you may have for those looking to go into the field you are in.

If you're looking at becoming a SAHM I don't really have any advice other than good luck, it's hard work but so rewarding! It also helps a lot if you have financial support too.

For public relations, my advice would be that it's very competitive so take every opportunity you can to gain experience. Extra things like blogging will show your enthusiasm for the industry to potential employers too. The main one though is NETWORK. It's often about who you know not what you know!


11 comments:

Too Many Fish to Fry said...

Interesting post. I was in PR also before becoming a SAHM. (Not fashion PR, though, cool! Fashion is my hobby.)

My friend is a life coach, and she told me that blogging and staying active in social media is a great way to keep a "hand in" and gives marketing/PR people a good re-entry story. Right now though I'm loving doing freelance writing and being a mom :)

sweetpeasylvie said...

Hey that's cool. I'd like to get more into freelance writing, maybe once I've been blogging a bit longer so I can build my confidence up to approach publications! What topics do you freelance on? You should do this link up so I can read your answers :)
Thanks for stopping by! x

Angelina said...

I love that picture! It's so true! And that would be my advice to!

x_noire_x said...

I really enjoyed reading this, it's nice to get to know you a bit better "Southern Hemisphere girly"! ^^ xx

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

I saw you listed on Phi Phi's blog and just wanted to say hi! Your "work" picture is hilarious. I can only imagine how demanding it must be to be a SAHM. It's not something I have to think about yet, but I would love to have time and flexibility for my family when that time comes. We'll see how it goes then!

xoxo,

Chic 'n Cheap Living

Katie Vegter said...

I love the picture! SO TRUE!

http://womaninamansworl.blogspot.com

Amy said...

How gorgeous are you in that graduation photo!


Amy
xx

sweetpeasylvie said...

Aw thanks Amy! Scored that Annah Stretton dress for $70 too :)

sweetpeasylvie said...

Hehe thanks glad you appreciate it!

sweetpeasylvie said...

Thanks for stopping by Lau! x

sweetpeasylvie said...

:) Thanks for stopping by Angelina! x