GUEST POST inspiring weight loss story + tips.

Hey! I am so excited to be on here posting for Sylvia today. Doesn't she have the cutest wee family! I'm Amy a fellow New Zealander who blogs over at Dreaming. Wishing. Doing.





Today I am going to talk about something very important to me. 

Eating.

I used to be a pig. Seriously I did. I would go the supermarket to get snacks for the week and come home with two family sized blocks of chocolate, a couple of packs of biscuits and some gummy lollies.  
I would then eat all of this in a couple of nights. Actually it was more like one night.
It really was an unhealthy and unhappy time of my life.

I came across these photos the other day. I don't know if I was at my biggest. I do know that at this point I did not realise how big I was. It was about a whole year before I made the change to clean eating. The photo in the red dress I liked at the time. The one in the purple I remember hating. When I saw them I wanted to delete them. But they are part of my story and I have decided to share them with you all on here.



Obviously I really like that jersey, hat and bag. Haha. Sorry have to joke about it or I may cry.

Anyway over the next year I yo-yo dieted. Usually by not eating much at all. Something I couldn't sustain in the long term. I think I got down to around 73kgs (approx 160lb) when I was at my smallest and I always put it back on. I always had an excuse.


These are all photos I have taken using 'screen shot' on my phone so I do not have any references.

Fast forward to June this year. This is where I started my clean eating journey. When I look back it is amazing I stuck to it. 
If anyone doesn't know the basis of clean eating is you eat foods which have not been processed and that your body needs to survive. It is just going BACK TO BASICS. I recently saw someone say it is eating what your great-grandma would have eaten.

I think what helped me stick to it is I am now eating foods I enjoy. And these foods make me feel good. I now eat to survive not survive to eat. One of the best parts about my new way of eating is I don't ever get that horrible feeling of wanting to be sick I used to get once I finished eating an ice-cream or too much pasta.

For anyone who is wanting some tips in their weight loss journey I thought I would share my top 5 tips.

1. Eat a big nutritious breakfast. 
Seriously do it. It will give you energy for the day. Breakfast became my reason for getting up in the morning. Start with something small and work it up to a big meal. It should be your biggest meal of the day.

2. Drink water.
As much as you can. I aim for 2-3 litres a day. I carry round a big 1l drink bottle and I constantly sip. It also means you can never confuse thirst with hunger. If you can also drink green tea. It is great for metabolism.

3. Actually eat.
You should be eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Train your body to need it. This keeps your metabolism going and stops you going into starvation mode. Things like almonds, fruit and ryvitas are great snack ideas. I eat breakfast around 7.30am, morning tea bout 10.30, lunch around 1pm, afternoon snack about 4pm and dinner around 7pm.

4. Don't beat yourself up if you slip up.
Honestly you are only human and you are probably going to slip up. Don't let one bad eating meal or snack ruin it all. It seems to be a common saying at the moment but I will repeat it... It is the same as dropping your iphone and cracking the screen. You wouldn't think oh well it's stuffed now so let me throw it against a brick wall would you? So if you slip up get over it. Get back to clean eating straight away.

5. Make it work for you.
If you don't do what suits you then you will never stick to it. I know that fish has amazing benefits but I cannot bring myself to eat it. If I forced myself to eat it for dinner then I wouldn't eat dinner and would end up getting takeaways. I honestly think that the most important thing on this journey is to make it all work for you.

I thought it would be fun to finish with some photos of me the same outfit as I am in the above photos. Hopefully you will be able to see a difference. Sorry I didn't pull out the hat, tights or bag. I had just gotten home from the gym and wanted the photos over. Haha. As you can see here I am no fashion blogger.



Please feel free to ask me any questions. I love talking about all this and would be very happy to help anyone out.




4 comments:

drinkcitra said...

Aw great post, Amy! I love your tips :D You look fabulous!

Cathy Ly said...

Wow what a motivating post! You're right..don't survive to eat, eat to survive, I love that!!!

Cathy Trails

Keep up the wonderful work. You look beautiful!

Amy said...

Thanks Cathy! It really is a great quote to remember in times of weakness!


Amy
xx

Amy said...

Thanks! The whole thing really does change your life and I don't regret it for one second!!


Amy
xx