the good mother.




Today a nurse was visiting to do Marley's 10-week check up (who by the way is getting really big!!), and she said on her way out "you're doing a really good job, you're a good mother". Whoa that threw me back! It was the nicest and best thing I've heard in a while, and probably something I really needed to hear.

My days at home with Marley are fairly blurry. It's the same thing each day - feed, nappy, sleep, cry, feed, nappy, cry, blah blah. I have no employer to tell me how I'm doing. No KPI criteria to assess where I'm at.

As mothers our successes aren't exactly tangible or measurable. If you've made it through the day without losing it then that's a win. If in 18 years time your child isn't in jail or on drugs, then you've probably done alright. But other than that, those key performance indicators which give us drive, motivation and confidence, are kind of non-existent.





Like most women, I want to be the best mother I can be, but I'm so lost in the day-to-day blur that I forget where I'm at with my 'job'. My little man can't exactly report back on my work and let me know if I'm on the right track. But that's okay, I have come to accept that this is a selfless job. I have to be patient and wait for the day I'll finally hear those four words "I love you Mum". Every now and again though, it is SO gratifying and humbling to receive a compliment about how I'm doing.

If you know a new mother (or a veteran mother, or any kind of mother), how about you let her know how well she's doing. It really is the hardest and most stressful experience we can have as women, and sometimes we just need a little reminding.

You'll probably make her day, and most likely her week.

6 comments:

Sherry Williams said...

The best compliments are from strangers, and I am sure the best compliment for a mother, is from another woman.

I am sure you are very deserving of that compliment!

Look at all your posts, they are all about Marley, although you spend all day with him and it can be stressful, you still bring him into your "escape" and blog about him.

Your world revolves around him and I am sure you are doing great!

RedRoseVintage said...

I love getting those kind of compliments. Makes my day :) Your baby is adorable!
Following you from the followers to friends hop ;)
xo sandra
redrose-vintage.blogspot.com

drinkcitra said...

Aw that's awesome! <3 So glad she said that to you!

Roshni AaMom said...

First of all, congratulations!! He looks so cute and cuddly! I can tell from the photo that you really are doing an amazing job!
Do visit my blog when you get a chance!

Jelli said...

Thanks for the reminder, Sylvie. So glad you're able to share perspective with the rest of us that may have forgotten how reassuring it is to know we're on the right track as mamas.

alyssa said...

this is my favorite post of yours :) I'm not a mom yet, but this reminder is always needed. All we can do is our best.