gratitude, happiness and glitter.

Spending all my time with a little man that can't talk has given me a lot of thinking time (although I do talk to him, he just stares back at me). Maybe it's the postpartum hormones, but I really feel like I have had some profound thoughts and realisations about the world since having Marley.






One thing that has been heavily on my mind is gratitude, and how our first world society really lacks it. No thanks to technology, we are now so used to having everything at our finger tips that we are often losing our perspective. Even I am guilty of this.

When I realised becoming a mother meant losing my income, I was pretty upset. How were we ever going to manage living on one income?

The truth is though, there are families in our own back yard who can't afford to give their kids breakfast each day or shoes to wear to school. There are children that are exposed to domestic conflict and violence. Some never get to experience feeling loved.

Really, I have it so good. My family has everything we need and more. We know one day soon we will buy a house and take Marley to Disneyland. We will always have food, shelter, warmth and love for him. I'm so grateful for that.








Having a newborn is hard work and some days I feel like I am getting nowhere. But by actively practicing gratitude, I can reassure myself that while not every day is good, there is something good in every day.

I've started a gratitude journal which I write in daily. Sometimes its really simple things, some days its illogical things, and every so often it's profound things. It doesn't really matter though, so long as the awareness is there.

I think gratitude is the key to happiness. We are always going to want more and more things which we think will finally make us happy. But to be truely happy, that's about appreciating what you have right now in this moment. 








Oh and a touch of glitter, that always helps too.

P.s. I haven't signed up for the Friends to Followers Blog Hop Party yet, go do it out now!


4 comments:

Jacqui said...

Lovely words about gratitude :). We survive on one 'proper' income at the moment (his) and I have to say, I've grown so much as a person during this time that money could never replace that. And we have enough, we have a house and our animals and our love for each other. Interesting insights into motherhood too.. Thanks for sharing :)

Sherry Williams said...

"I can reassure myself that while not every day is good, there is something good in every day.
"

Great words and thoughts.

Sylvia Holman said...

Thanks guys you're too kind!

drinkcitra said...

Aw this was lovely to read... gratitude is definitely the key to happiness <3